I don’t know about where you live, but the weather has certainly gotten warmer for us! Even if it’s not the official start of summer, Memorial Day weekend always seems to be the informal start of summer. We hope you have special plans to honor the fallen heroes that have served our country well. If you are looking for a quick and refreshing treat to share with loved ones or friends this holiday weekend, try our cosmopolitan cream puff recipe! The orange cream is particularly refreshing on a warm summer evening and the cosmopolitan granola adds a nice crunch. Whether you are planning to travel or just taking a break from your routine, we hope this summer brings you special memories!
- 1 package of puff pastry shells or puff pastry sheets
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- ¼ to 1/2 cup of sugar, adjust based on your preference for sweetness
- 2 tsp orange oil or extract
- 1 cup fresh berries such as blueberries or strawberries
- Cosmopolitan granola, chopped for garnish
- Bake the puff pastry shells or pastry sheets according to the directions on the package. If you are using pastry sheets rather than shells, cut the pastry sheet into 2” squares or circles. To turn your pastry sheet into a shell, lightly score/perforate a circle across the shell.
- While the puff pastry is baking, whip together heaving cream, sugar, and orange oil/extract for 5 minutes on high or until stiff peaks form with either a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Once the puff pastry is cooled, remove the extra pastry in the center of the shell or sheet to create a well for the cream filling.
- Pipe or scoop whipped orange cream into a puff pastry shell or sheet.
- Garnish with Cosmopolitan granola and fresh fruit.
This cream puff recipe works great as a make-ahead dessert if you store the pastry cream in your fridge and then add it to freshly baked puff pastries the day of.