September is here and we hope you’re getting to enjoy some beautiful fall weather! September is a great time for apple picking and apple harvest festivals for those lucky enough to have orchards around them. Apple dumplings are a great way to enjoy the spoils of your apple picking efforts either at the orchard or the grocery store. Try our “best apple dumplings” recipe made with Big Apple Granola for a new spin on a classic treat.
- 4 baking apples (we like gala, granny smith, or honey crisp, but this varies based on sweetness/tartness preference)
- 1 cup Big Apple granola
- ¼ cup brown or coconut sugar
- ¼ cup Greek style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust (2 count)
- 1 cup packed brown or coconut sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg, divided into yolk and white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- Butter/grease a 13×9 baking pan.
- On a large cutting board or work surface, cut apples in half, peel and core inside. Scoop out middle of apple to accommodate about an 1/8 cup filling.
- In a small bowl, mix granola, sugar, yogurt, melted butter, and cinnamon.
- Prep egg wash by beating egg white mixture in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, beat and mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water
- On work surface/cutting board, open pie crusts and cut each in half.
- Using a pastry brush, coat pie crust halves with the beaten egg white.
- Place apple halves on the center of each pie crust section.
- Spoon granola filling on top of each apple (it will mound a bit on top of the apple).
- Pull up pie crust sides over the apple/granola mixture and pinch off any excess pie crust. Either fold over crust and pinch to seal or use a fork to gently press seams to seal.
- Place apple dumplings in greased 13×9 pan.
- Using pastry brush to coat the dumplings in egg yolk wash mixture.
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, water, and butter to a boil. Stir to ensure it is well blended.
- Pour sauce over apple dumplings and place pan in the oven
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 50 minutes until the dumplings are golden brown.
- Allow the best apple dumplings to cool slightly and serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.