Happy New Year! We hope 2022 is off to a great start for you. The New Year holds so much potential and so many possibilities. It is always a great time to check in on your goals or re-evaluate where you stand with respect to your priorities. Healthy food is one of our key values and we know eating healthy is a big part of starting the New Year right. Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, we have a great recipe to help you start the day on a great note! Our Big Apple Granola muffins are filled with heart-healthy oats and nuts. The flavor boost from the applesauce helps to cut back on the sugar without sacrificing taste. Nutritious and delicious, that’s a winning combo that will help you conquer your day and your goals for the New Year!
- 2 cups Big Apple Granola, divided into 1 ½ cups and ½ cup reserved for garnish
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup packed brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce (we love this one)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F and either line a 12 tin muffin pan with muffin liners or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1 ½ cups granola (you’ll use the rest later), flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend dry mixture with a fork.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, buttermilk, apple sauce, and vanilla with a fork until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter amongst the 12 muffin tins, approximately ¼ cup of batter per tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of Big Apple Granola on top of the muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the Big Apple granola muffins from pans and allow them to cool prior to serving.
- Optional: serve with a dollop of fresh whip cream or your favorite yogurt.